TFD

It's a blurry memory

Because of wasted time.

I was young enough to remember the day

God was wrong

and blameless.


it's in the pit of my stomach

I can feel it's languid desperation.

...smell it's hazy smell

Just outside my five fingered reach.


It wasn't a battle.

It was end an of an angry war

        of which

my siblings and I were casualties.


Who would be proud of the way 

I forgot to breathe

and how quickly I stuffed 

my forgotten feelings 

into an overnight bag


                        What are feelings?

                        That's a question I still ask

                        myself.


I still think about that afternoon

or morning or whatever

time of day it was


If peace is a happy family,


then my feelings

are a puzzle

of which

I'm trying to peace

together 

Again

forever.


Written for Weekly Scribblings #80: Sudden Moments at Poets and Storytellers United.



Comments

  1. Disillusionment, especially to a child, can be hugely confronting indeed. I wish I knew which meaning of TFD you intend; Wikipedia gives several. Time Frequency Domain and Tales from the Dark Side might both fit. But in another way that's irrelevant, and I like the way the poem omits details of what causal event actually happened so as to focus on your reaction.

    Thanks for sharing this with Poets and Storytellers United. I'd love to see more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TFD stands for Twin Falls Divorce, but Tales From the Dark Side could have just as easily worked! Ha! Twin Falls references the city in Idaho, USA I lived in when my parents divorced. Thank you for your kind words. Feelings, and what I feel, will almost always be the most important idea I try to transmit to a reader through my writing. I will get some more poetry posted soon.

      Delete
  2. Endings can be so devastating.

    I like how well the structure and tone of your poem work so well to show us the sense of loss and chaos. When things like this happen, the emotions are always so much more permanent and clear than specific details. I wonder if the brain muddles the memories in self defense.

    Again, welcome to Poets and Storytellers United, Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magaly. I think the brain does muddle our memories. I think it can be in self defense, but I also think that time has a way of eroding them as well. These faded memories are good reminders for me of our fallibility.

      Delete
  3. You so well relayed the end of youthful innocence that results in such breach of trust. (I'm translating TFD into the current urban The F'n Dad. Correct me if I'm wrong!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIKES! That's supposed to be The F'n DAY! Sorry about the typo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The F'n Dad made me chuckle. It's more true then you know! It stands for Twin Falls Divorce. twin Falls, ID is the town I lived in when my parents were divorced.

      Delete
    2. Ha! The F'n Dad could apply in my case, too. (I also wrote about the effect of my parents' divorce.)

      Delete
    3. (Also see my reply to your comment on my piece.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog